Visit Us Daily For All Your Latest Gistssssssssssssss

Please add your comment on the topics to make the site more INTERACTIVE

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Erstwhile Babangida's Deputy, Augustus Aikhomu Is Dead


Augustus Aikhomu

Just as former military dictator, Ibrahim Babangida was celebrating his 70th birthday, his erstwhile deputy, Augustus Aikhomu passed on today in Lagos.

Reactions have continued to trail the death of former Chief of General Staff and military Vice-President Augustus Aikhomu, who died Wednesday, in Lagos.

Chief John Oyegun, first executive Governor of Edo State,

“We have had more than our fair share of deaths in our state, we lost Enahoro, then the governor’s wife and now we are talking of a prominent Nigerian in Aikhomu. It is really tragic, very difficult to believe, I know he was ill but I never knew it will lead to death, it is quite painful.

My heartfelt sympathy to his family, his wife and children. He contributed to the development of the nation both as a military man and a politician. He is one of the elder statesmen of both the state and the entire country. I don’t know what is happening to our medical facilities in this country.

Senator Rowland Stephen Owie, former Chief Whip of the Senate

“It’s a disaster. He was a great Nigerian, a very very detribalized Nigerian. He is a man that says the truth always. He was my national leader in ANPP. His death is devastating to all of us.

I spoke to him a week and half ago and he was sounding very healthy. We give God the glory. Its symbolic that he died on the birthday of Ibrahim Babangida his boss. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

* Late Aikhomu

Chief Tom Ikimi

He was my best friend. I spoke to him last week in London; I told him I was coming to London to visit him. His death is a monumental loss to our country and the state in particular. He is a very dependable and reliable person. His contributions to the development and stability of our country cannot be quantified. He made significant contributions to the end of the civil war. He was the commander of the Nigerian flag ship NNS Nigeria. He was an unblemished naval officer. I won’t be able to say much now be later because I am bereaved.

Chief Dan Orbih, Edo state PDP Chairman

A great Nigerian. A man of peace, leader, diplomat and a statesman. May his Gentle Soul rest in peace.

Gen. Charles Airhiavbere
It is a sad day for the military and Nigerians in general. I cannot tell you how shocked I am. It is a sad news for all of us. An intelligent man, politician and a man of truth. Those of us in the military know his worth. So his demise is a big blow to the Nigerian Armed forces and Edo people in particular. May his Gentle soul rest in perfect peace. Amen

No comments: